Sedex is a global non-profit membership-based organisation. It aims to facilitate business for its members and others by promoting reliable and ethical business practices. Sedex members decide the benchmarks for business ethics, and appropriate supply chain practices through mutual information sharing, discussions, and research.
It provides the leading online platform for companies to source responsibly. The chief considerations being working conditions and sustainable practices.
To encourage higher standards across the globe, Sedex offers open-source auditing procedure and methodology. It focuses on promoting globally acceptable supply chain operations.
Sedex audit methodology covers:
• Labour Rights
• Safety and Health Standards of Workers
• Sustainable practices and environmental impact
• Business ethics
What is SMETA?
SMETA is an audit methodology set by Sedex. Sedex members design and update the SMETA procedures. Still, it remains open-source, which means that businesses and organisations can use SMETA for auditing. The SMETA auditing reports can help smoothen the process of earning certifications.
Sedex does not issue certificates, and there’s no SMETA certification. It’s just a framework that takes suppliers closer to standards demanded by certifications.
SMETA constitutes three components:
1. Best Practice Guidance for Ethical Auditing
2. Format for Audit reports
3. Structure for Action Plan for fixing the issues.
SMETA audits take the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) code as the yardstick. The ETI derives from the conventions of the International Labour Organisation. Besides, they also take into account the local laws.
SMETA 2-Pillar audits cover labour rights, health and safety, work entitlement, management systems, and subcontracting. The SMETA 4-Pillar audits additionally cover environmental impact and aspects of business ethics.
How can SMETA benefit you?
A significant benefit of SMETA audits relates to suppliers. They can share one audit report with all customers, which saves a lot of time and money.
SMETA audits have various other benefits.
1. They help win the trust of customers. They learn that you are complying with the highest global standards of the supply chain.
2. They improve the reputation in supply chain and markets globally.
3. SMETA audits instil confidence in your employees that you will adhere to the international standards for workplace safety and labour rights. This way, they enhance the workers’ performance.
4. They consolidate and nurture supplier relations.
How to get SMETA audits done?
Only the audit companies that are Sedex affiliates can conduct SMETA audits and deliver reports. The audit process mainly consists of meetings, site tours, and interviews with management and workers.
Acquire Consultancy helps in finding the closest Sedex affiliates for SMETA audits.
We ensure that our producers and distributors are SMETA compliant. We also see that each of our producers and distributors deals with only SMETA abiding supply chain members.